One thing you realise very quickly in the first few weeks of your trip is what you should have taken. It will either have gone two ways, you have taken to much or not enough. If you pack the items below you should have a comfortable trip. Most of the items are simple luxuries which make a massive difference.
The backpack is one of the most important decisions you will make towards your trip. Choose the wrong one and you have to live with it for the whole trip. The aim is to get a fairly cheap bag but make sure its a good brand. Below is a list of good brands and links to their sites where you can find out more.
- Males- 60-70 Litre Backpack
- Females 50-60 Litre Backpack
- If bought brand new dirty it up before heading off traveling
- must be able to use padlocks on the Zippers -Very Important
- Waterproof or have a waterproof cover at least
First Aid Kit
You never know when you will need a first aid kit whilst backpacking. Nothing too serious like a Surgery kit but enough to bandage yourself up or apply band aids to someone. You would be surprised how handy they can be.
Recommended Items in a backpackers First Aid kit
- Clean Scissors
- Antiseptic cream - Very Important
- Butterfly clip Band aids
- Headache tablets
Depending on where you are in the world its actually a lot cleaner, more hygienic, safer and always cheaper to perform your own first aid if possible.
- Extremely light
- Small and Compact
- Has webcam for Skype calls
- with SSD Hard Drive your data is safer and loads very quickly.
- Powerful enough to run any programs or games you might want
- With an external Hard Drive you can store as much data as you want.
- Keyboard very comfortable for typing for long periods of time.
The Kindle is basically an electronic book reader. One of the best inventions around for backpackers.
- Very Lightweight
- Can hold up to 1500 novels in the palm of your hand
- Can read for hours and the screen is designed in a way that your eyes will not hurt
- Will work in Glarey conditions.
- Books are generally a lot cheaper
- You can get kindle apps on other devices to read your Ebooks.
- You can lend your books with other Friends for 14 days.
Clothing is hard to judge and you always take to much. Fut below are a few tips.
- If going to Asia or South America or a cheaper area you can buy clothes there very cheap.
- 2 Shirts
- 2 Pair Board Shorts
- 2 Tank Tops\Singlets
- 2 pair of long pants
- 4 Pair of Socks
- 5 Pair of Underwear
- Flip Flops\ Pluggers
- Jacket -depending on destination
A pocket knife is a very important piece of your backpacking arsenal. From emergencies to perfecting your backpacking recipes.
- Opening cans
- Opening Wine
- Cutting Food
- First Aid and Emergency Situations
If you follow this list of what to take backpacking you will be well on your way to having a good trip. Ensure you have Travel Insurance Also